Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Memories



I saw this video for the first time tonight. Sure brought back memories. I grew up in Vancouver. The city has always been a jewel and this video really shows that it still is even though the population has ballooned from that of a small city to that of a grand metropolis.

Now, I live in Chilliwack. It is growing like Vancouver did when I was a child. But it is not on the ocean, which makes the scenery very different. Only 60 miles apart, the cities are tied by belonging to the same valley. Other than that, they are both very diffent cities.

I still love Vancouver 60 years later and visit regularly. But, with the high traffic volumes there now, I no longer want to live there. I used to walk every day just to look at the mountains sitting to the north of the city. In winter, the snow-covered mountains looked like jewel encrusted crowns surrounding the City's perimeter. Protecting Vancouver from all the bad things to come.

The lights of the city are spectacular even when the ocean fog rolls in. No fog is thick enough to completely block them out. It is not for lack of trying though! When I was attending Simon Fraser University, I can remember many trips up and down Burnaby Mountain that were slow. I had to drive very slowly with my window down so I could follow the white line down the middle of the road. It was the only way to be sure I was still on the road. I missed a corner once and aimed my truck down until I was back on the road again. I only took out a few small trees though. You would not do that now, you would take out the condos!

I love memories.

I am going to watch the beautiful video again.

Elouise



No comments:

Post a Comment